Monday, February 25, 2008

Counting Down

Today I begin to count down the days for 2 big events in my life
1) Days until I leave for Texas (2) and days until my audition (5)
2) Days until I am DONE with this music and ready to start something new (also5)

I have to admit that I am a little bit sad to be leaving this pieces. I know it sounds weird. Why in the world would someone WANT to keep working on the same music they have been playing and hearing for years?! It is very strange but these pieces have become my friends....ok I KNOW that sounds corny! It's true though. When you really start to "live" with a piece of music, it starts to express who you are and how you feel, day to day. As my teacher says, "The piano is just a big mirror looking right back at you"

But on the other hand, I am excited to start new pieces. It's nice to feel like you are getting a "fresh start". A new chance to practice more effectively, ingrain only good habits, and see how quickly I learn the pieces with more consistent practicing. It also means getting 1 step closer to beginning the doctoral program.

So, next on my agenda: Choosing my doctoral program! I can't believe it's upon me already. I'm excited about it though. Here is how it works. I have to complete 20 credits for the "performance" part of the DMA program. This is in addition to about 2 years of course work and 3 or 4 comprehensive exams, plus the final defense and publishing of the dissertation...sounds painful, I know :)

For my 20 credits I have to use at least 2 for my dissertation. The remaining 18 will consist of recitals. As long as I give at least 2 solo recitals (4 credits each) I can use up the remaining 10 credits how I wish. I could do a 3rd solo recital, and 3 chamber recitals ( I think chamber recitals are worth 2 credits each, but maybe it's 3?) and I could give a lecture recital....Whatever I decide must be approved in it's entirety before my doctoral committee before I can give the recitals. Following their approval I have to perform a hearing for each recital in front of them, and pass it, aprox. 1 month prior to each recital.

I'm sure all of that was much more exciting to me than to my readers...sorry :)

Other events in my life! Well, here are some recent events
Sunday: I directed my church choir better than I have up to this point thanks to a woman who works at our church and sings in my choir who was a great help in helping me improve my conducting patterns. Also, I gave a recital at my former piano teacher's house for just her and my parents. It was actually a fairly secure and musical run-through! Then we sat down for tea with her and her toy poodle, Chloe :) She gave me her usual talk, as she does when I visit, on what I need to be looking for in music, career searches, how to get my name out there, etc. I am truly greatful to have this teacher still be a part of my life as my friend, and mentor. I would not be where I am today without her.

Saturday: My mom and I went to Morgantown and I had a 2 1/2 hour piano lesson!! I got a 30 min. break to go teach one of my adult students, but it was great to feel like we thoroughly covered the music and helped me feel much more confident to be "on my own" in my last week of prep. before my last audition. We were exhausted afterwards and went home and made chicken wings and junk food :)

Friday: My mom and I went shopping and she baught me a pretty black dress as part of my belated birthday present, to wear to my Texas audition. I also got jewelery and a new pair of shoes to go with it, which I've been wearing every chance I get at the piano to break-in before the audition.

Thursday: Not too much exciting news

Wednesday: I was up till 2am at my friend Sarah's house having a very interesting Biblical discussion/debate with her and her husband and his brother. All 3 are very intelligent Christians, so it was an enlightening conversation. What was even neater was that I got to see the lunar eclipse from their back-yard! Did you get to see it?

That's my update. Time to go back to practicing.

Oh yeah, one more thing. My former teacher informed me that I put her piano out-of-tune during my run through! She says this often and I know the piano tuner who tuned her piano, so I doubt it's really possible that I put it out of tune. (Tim, the tuner, is the man who trained Donnie, my friend who tunes my piano. Both men SLAM each key when it's tuned and really use all of the power they have in their bodies. So it takes A LOT of strength to un-due their tunings) Regardless, she said she would be sending me her bill for the tuning! I'm not sure if she was serious or not :) If you had a chance to meet this teacher of mine, you would know that she is not someone to argue with :) I will gladly pay her bill if she does send it to me...in fact it almost seems like a twisted compliment that she believes I have the muscle to really put it out of tune! :)

One very last thing (I promise!) Would you please pray that I am rested, prepared and HEALTHY for this audition? I have been feeling the onset of a cold the past couple of days and all I need is for it to hold off 1 week...then I don't really care what happens after that!! Thanks so much.

1 comment:

Cosette said...

Praying for the Texas audition....