Sunday, June 1, 2008

Signs of Summer

Every year I tend to think "summer is here!" WAY before the official 1st day of summer. However, this year I have some pretty good proof that summer IS here.

1) My beautiful sunburn all over my shoulders and neck. The first hot and sunny day we got this year, this past Friday, I couldn't resist 2 hours of biking, walking the dog and hiking in scorching hot weather

2) The wet dog, Jack. I soaked him down with the hose after our walk, to cool him off.

3) Strawberry Shortcake. The official summer dinner at our house. We've already had it once this week for dinner.

4) Company! We haven't had out-of-state company stay with us (aside from my brother) in 8 years!! My aunt and uncle are visiting us from Lancaster, PA for a few days. I'll miss them lots when they are gone. I even gave them my bedroom hoping they would stay longer! :)

5) Hot nights, even with the windows open.

6) Exercise Fanatic...it happens every year. I'm like a bear. I hibernate and eat for 8 months, then try to shed it all off in 4....only problem is...it doesn't work that way!!

7) Bugs...I was attacked by swarms of them while riding my bike this evening..I have the bug-magnet tee-shirt in my laundry pile to proove it.

8) Gas prices...yeah, ok, that's all the time...but doesn't it usually seem even worse in the summer when you're trying to travel?

9) Smores and bonfires...we've got the ingredients, as well as a very LARGE pile of wood in our back-yard for the fires. (Left over from the dead trees we had cut down in our back yard)

10) Longer days. Isn't it wonderful having day-light until 9pm?!

There you go. 10 solid proofs that summer is here!

2 comments:

Cosette said...

Well Liz, knowing that my baby is due in July, I have been waiting the arrival of summer for quite some time now! Thanks for giving me 10 more reasons to be hopeful :)

Granny Kate said...

Come to Canada. We will adjust your "bug" proof of summer to mean Mosquitoes. Yes, with the capital M. And daylight in July lasts till 10 p.m. That's to make up for the sun setting at 4 p.m. in January. But we still have the dogs to walk and the sunburn and the exercise (trampoline and bikes and hikes) and the out-of-town guests--my parents.